What do Statistics, Spreadsheets & Scam Artists have in common? They're all topics that my guests on this episode, Gerald Ashley & Paul Craven discuss as they explore how we make decisions. Both Gerald and Paul have previously appeared on the show...
What do Statistics, Spreadsheets & Scam Artists have in common? They're all topics that my guests on this episode, Gerald Ashley & Paul Craven discuss as they explore how we make decisions. Both Gerald and Paul have previously appeared on the show (links below) - Gerald as an individual and a 'head to head' with Rory Sutherland and Paul as an individual guest. Since the episode with Gerald and Rory, proved to be so popular, I thought I'd invite Gerald and Paul onto the show together. This episode forms Part One of their discussion.
Gerald specialises in Business Risk and Decision Making. His work concentrates on trying to understand decision making, risk-taking and human behaviour, in the face of uncertainty.
Paul is an expert in behavioural science, decision making, investment and psychology, applying the inner operations of the mind to the economic world
Some of the topics, Gerald and Paul discuss include:
- Kasparov vs Deep Blue Chess match: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue_versus_Garry_Kasparov
- Gerd Gigerenzer, a researcher and author on risk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_Gigerenzer
- Herbert Simon on Satisficing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisficing
- 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy', a book (and movie & TV series) by John LeCarre:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Tailor_Soldier_Spy
- Frank Abagnale's 'Catch Me If You Can' (also a movie): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_Me_If_You_Can_(book)
- Richard Littlejohn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Littlejohn
- The Bavelas Experiments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Bavelas
To find out more about my two guests
Previous episodes of this show featuring Gerald and Paul:
Gerald - https://www.podpage.com/the-human-risk-podcast/gerald-ashley-on-uncertainty/
Gerald & Rory Sutherland Part One - https://www.podpage.com/the-human-risk-podcast/rory-sutherland-gerald-ashley-on-networks-part-i/
Gerald & Rory Sutherland Part Two - https://www.podpage.com/the-human-risk-podcast/gerald-ashley-rory-sutherland-on-prosilience/
Paul - https://www.podpage.com/the-human-risk-podcast/paul-craven-on-magic-money-the-mind/